Face-to-Face Courses: Developing Your Personal Skills
“Good communicators believe that listening to others is important. They take the time to listen to others. People trust them and usually openly share their problems, concerns and ideas with them.”
– Janet Stewart
It's often not what you say...it's how you say it!
Communication is often one of the greatest sources of dissatisfaction for team members - and it can be a great source of conflict!
Time and again, organizations have identified communication as their #1 issue. And yet, how can a group improve when its Members are communicating poorly or not at all? How can they work towards resolving conflicts or collaborate to improve their processes or opportunities? Really - they can't... until they improve the level and quality of their communication skills.
Here are a few common AVOIDABLE problems that Team Members typically run into:
- Information is not shared with peers or supervisors, resulting in a duplication of effort and/or misunderstandings in the workplace as well as within the team, Union or organization;
- Members take sides when conflicts between individuals arise;
- Members talk to each other, but they don’t really listen to what the other person is saying, resulting in misunderstandings; and
- Members offer feedback to each other – but ineffective feedback can cause conflicts to arise, creating more problems.
One-day Team Communications workshop
The ALLIANCELearning Team will work with you to design a customized, team-focused one-day Team Communications workshop that will help you and your Team Members to:
- Learn how to make your point in a non-threatening way;
- Identify your personal communication style and the associated strengths and challenges;
- Tailor your personal approach to communication based on the needs and interests of the listener;
- Use active listening skills to understand others' points of view;
- Give and receive feedback in a healthy and supportive method.
This highly participative, learner-centered course will provide you with the tools and skills to communicate effectively and contribute to the success of your workplace.
Some of the Key Topics to be Covered Include:
- Team Communication Basics: Why is it that teams often develop communication problems? Why is it so common in today's workplace? You will explore these reasons and identify some of the key factors that affect the quality of team communications.
- Listening: What did you say? How many times have you felt that someone heard you, but that they were not really listening to what you were saying? We will identify some critical keys to effective listening and the suggested steps to follow. Through hands-on activities, you will have the opportunity to practice your listening skills in a safe and fun learning environment.
- Feedback: Giving and receiving feedback to peers and other partners can become a great source of conflict when it is not done well. You will be introduced to an easy to remember theory on providing feedback and then will have the opportunity to practice giving supportive and challenging feedback on individual behaviours.